The Himalayas, painted by Nicholas Roerich on a wooden panel
World Working Actions
From the working world to World Working:
• Learning and communicating – What would it mean if the world worked? For many, this will be a difficult concept to comprehend, in light of all the world’s current problems. The transition from scarcity to having enough would be an extraordinary change in the lives of the majority of people now living on the planet.
What would happen to people’s jobs? What could happen to people’s identity? These ideas seem a distant future, now. How will it be best to communicate world working ideas for consideration and actions?
• Work toward working – Doing the research, extending Bucky Fuller’s original work, to determine what needs to be done for the world to work. Determining what expenditures and personnel will be required. How much will it cost to make the world work?
How much will it cost to find out how much it would cost to make the world work? Some forces driving prices in that regard would be difficult to assess because they might change as people and their professions change as we try to make the world work.
• Giving and gifts – Regular, often annual, even weekly or daily charitable and philanthropic giving, as a model for partial financing of making the world work. At the high end, this includes the billionaire’s pledge and, for others, tithing and the like. At the high end, a new kind of super tithing could be based on a reverse Lehman structure: 1% of the first million 2% of the second etc. 5% of every million there after.
The gift, as a cultural way of living.
• The Noosphere – Connecting the world and creating the noosphere of Teilhard de Chardin. How do we create the noosphere, the sphere of mind and consciousness? By connecting everyone to everyone.
First things first: If the whole world is going to work, the whole world has to be connected in order to have a voice in what’s to be. The smart phone noosphere and giving everyone access to communication so that they can have a voice and access to a world of other voices. Connect up as many people as possible, all around the world.
Smart phones, along with Internet connectivity, are currently the best instruments for this action. How much will this cost? Probably single digit billions, based on contemporary technology and pricing. Solving the distribution and set up issues involved with getting everyone a connected mobile smartphone, will enable us to foresee other problems having to do with improving distribution and other World Working actions.
• UBN – In light of current discussions and experiments with UBI = universal basic income, I want to propose providing UBN = universal basic needs: e.g., air, water, food, sanitation, shelter, clothing, healthcare, communication, transportation, learning, entertainment, expenses and more. Who needs these most, deserve to get these needs met first.
UBI won’t work unless all the basics required for life: i.e., housing, shelter, food, transportation, clothing, etc., are provided. Then, a universal basic income could supplement that series of basic provisions. At that point of this transition, in addition to the obligatory redefinition of work, there probably needs to be an additional redefinition: of money, and exchange. What is essential is allowing people to have what they need and what they want.
In order to provide basic needs, infrastructure will be vitally important. Roads and other infrastructure that are to serve in the service of distribution channels and living structures. The creation and maintenance of this infrastructure and more, would provide an imp[ortant role for the government and the military (see below). To be the providers and provisioners of such basics would be a good transitional space for government and the military to be in, as we move into the future.This would be part of the transition as we move from representative and authoritarian governments toward the future: new kinds of self-organization.
• Military – The world’s military can provide the world’s best existing infrastructure for logistics and distribution. A global military alliance for World Working will be essential.
The Elephants in the Room
Cyber & Bio: weaponry /warfare/social control.